The Laundry Forum

Healthcare, Commercial and Industrial launderers, manufacturers and suppliers.

School me on static in linen.

Open discussions not manufacture specific

School me on static in linen.

Postby Kinvig » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:49 pm

How do you remove static from linen? How does it affect the folds in a folder?
What can be done to remove static after its come out of the dryer.
Any explanations and ideas would help.
Thanks.
Kinvig

Re: School me on static in linen.

Postby AmandaLobb » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:59 am

Hi Kinvig,

You asked for "schooling" so I hope this is not insulting, but thorough and informative. Static is simply an absence of moisture. As it applies to your flatwork finishing equipment the contributing factors you have to consider include:

1. The residual moisture when you bring the goods to the ironer. If goods are too dry, the heating and drying of the goods, along with friction will create excess static. Consult your equipment supplier about the optimum moisture that should be in the linen, as well as remain in the linen upon folding. Program adjustments in time and temperature could address the issue.

2. What has changed, if anything, about the goods? For example in a COG laundry, if 85% of your sheets are 65/35 cotton/polyester, and you begin getting 100% polyester sheeting. Polyester by nature is going to be dryer after extract and would require a lower temperature and higher speed on the ironer for best results. When these sheets are mixed with, and processed the same as blended sheets, the result will show at the folder as excess static due to over drying the polyester sheets.

3. What type of belts are you using? If processing a lot of polyester goods you may want more cotton belts, maybe even grippy textured belts, if processing table linen, to reduce static and slide (which causes more static).

4. Do you have an antistatic bar? Depending on your laundry's climate an antistatic bar should be a feature on your folder. In laundries where it gets very cold and your heating the space, there is always a lack of moisture in the air, therefore in the textiles. You may need a second antistatic bar if you are processing lots of polyester goods or have a long winter season.

Static in the dryer is a direct result of over drying. Take a look at the load and if the goods are properly sorted, therefore getting the proper extract and drying parameters for that type of good.

Please also consider the lint in the air if you are having major static issues. The more static and combustibles in the air, the more dangerous and more OSHA.

Hope this helps!
AmandaLobb

Postby Kinvig » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:00 am

Thanks Amanda,
That was just the information I was after . I can work on some of your points. When you say static bar, what do you mean? The machine is fully earthed. Is static generated from belts that are linted up on the underside?
Kinvig

Postby TUNNELTECH » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:10 am

What is the location of your laundry? Dry climates have a huge problem with static where areas that have a lot of moisture do not. I have been in Arizona where I actually had to ground each machine separately. Here in Florida we do not even use a static bar. A static bar on a folder dissipates the static build up of the sheet. The Static cling is a problem in folding as the sheet tends to stick to itself and the rolls of the folder. In Dry areas I use antistatic belts this helps with the static. Works with towel folders a s well if you have the machine grounder. Check the amount of softener you nuse as this can help with the static.
Friction, dry material and air can almost always leads to static.
TUNNELTECH
Mr Laundry Master

Postby Kinvig » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:25 am

It is not a dry area at all, so not thinking that. Where is the static bar fitted on the folder? Does the linen run over the top of the bar, and the bar is grounded?
Kinvig

Postby IronMan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:23 am

The static bar is mounted above the belts of the inlet conveyor of the folder. It balances the ions to neutralize the charge.
IronMan
Mr Laundry Master

Postby Andres1981 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:53 pm

We are located in California and we have had problems with static on most of our linen especially with our sheets and we found that we were drying our product to much so now we run our sheets strait from the press to the iron and we made some adjustments to the iron slowing the speed down and that solved our problem with static.

Ps: The static bar is usually right before the first primary fold.
Andres1981

Return to General discussion