The Laundry Forum

Healthcare, Commercial and Industrial launderers, manufacturers and suppliers.

Quick help with a washer bearing seal??

Open discussions not manufacture specific

Quick help with a washer bearing seal??

Postby txah » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:52 pm

I have a Unimac UW60 something washing machine that was leaking water out the bearing seal and I was told we needed a bearing job (which isn't worth it on a machine as old as ours). We then discovered that all 3 of our washers weren't draining due to a main line clog. Once we got the drain cleaned out, it stopped leaking out the back of the bearing seal (the only place water could go). Even when the washer is full and agitating it is no longer leaking once we got the main line cleaned out. Now that it's not leaking, do I still need a bearing job? They said the seal was all that was bad but the couldn't replace just the seal. I'm looking for a quick answer because I have about 12 hours to cancel my order for a new washer, which isn't really the one I wanted but it was the one that was in stock.

Thanks in advance!
txah
Sharp

Re: Quick help with a washer bearing seal??

Postby ragman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:49 am

Because there has been water inside the bearing I would be concerned about the longevity of that bearing, the grease is now mixed with the water and since the seal is bad allowing water to get into the bearing, it can also allow whatever is inside the bearing housing to escape back into the washer and possibly ruin your linen, I suggest replacing it.
ragman
Intelligent

Postby The Laundry List.com » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:51 am

Cancel the order, run the machine until it fails, do not do a bearing job on an old small machine!
The Laundry List.com
Mr Laundry Master

Postby TUNNELTECH » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:48 pm

Pump in a small amount of grease every week. This will help push out the water and increase the life of the bearing. It will take longer to drop. :lol: The water is only part of the problem, it is the chemistry of the water that really kills the bearing quick. That bearing job, even if you do it yourself will hit a good portion of the cost of your new one.
TUNNELTECH
Mr Laundry Master

Return to General discussion