The Laundry Forum

Healthcare, Commercial and Industrial launderers, manufacturers and suppliers.

new plant

Open discussions not manufacture specific

new plant

Postby montana » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:42 am

HI all
Im taking the plunge and jumping into the biz. Im trying to make some decisions on equipment, thus far I have decided on two 95# washers(milnor), sharper finish 30x120 iron and a 120# dryer. I will be processing bars/restraunts and a 120 room high end hotel. Any input on equipment would be greatly appreciated! Im a startup but have been around the business for a few years, any info on what you shoulda done shouldn't have done? I'm here to listen and learn
Thanks
montana

Re: new plant

Postby suds-n-blood » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:18 pm

based on the info you provided on the customer base, you appear to be a bit light on the equipment selections.
The 120 rm high-end hotel would avg 14-16 pounds per room/daily, or about 12,500 lbs per week. Add to that the F&B from restraunts, and that weekly requirement could be well over 15,000 - 17,000 lbs per week. With simplistic math, and factoring a 7-day work schedule, that required production average would be over 300 lbs per hour in the washroom. It will be a real strain for the two 95's to handle that. With the linen types, customer goods, etc, it will never add up to full wash loads, hurting your cause further. A single roll 30" ironer is another push. When considering high end sheeting typically consists of king beds, the 120" wide width does not work. A 1-roll 30" ironer will be moving slow (to give quality), so it too will not keep up adequately. Leaves little to no time for small piece goods (pillow slips / napkins / table linen), so you may want to re-consider the equipment selections prior to jumping in to this first.
suds-n-blood
Mr Laundry Master

Postby montana » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Thanks suds-n-blood

If you were me, having the high end hotel as your priority customer and just say a handful of small bar/restraunt accounts to start, what would your choice epuipment selection be?
montana

Postby montana » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Thanks suds-n-blood

If you were me, having the high end hotel as your priority customer and just say a handful of small bar/restraunt accounts to start, what would your choice epuipment selection be?
montana

Postby suds-n-blood » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Firstly, is the hotel in question currently open and operating? If yes, obtain the "actual" daily poundage they generate to form the basis of your operation. While industry averages dictate the 14-16 lbs per room per day allowance, added factors of occupancy, what the maids change daily, inclusion of duvets, pillow shams, etc, all factor into the real actual poundage you have to produce.
Next, what do you plan on operating your laundry on? 5,6,or 7 days per week; and how many hours per day? Does your clients have enough par level of linen in service to allow you a two-day turn-around at the laundry?

What equipment would be my recommendation?? Using the hotel as the main basis, and incorporating the factors above of 15 lbs per room/day, 7-days per week equals a production need of 12,600 lbs. No added production is included at this time.
On a 7-day/week - 8-hr shift you will need to produce a minimum of 225 lbs per hour in the washroom, considering all loads are full capacity. Using industry standards, that load factor will be reduced by a min of 90% (meaning a 100 lb W-E will only be loaded to 90 lbs), and a production rate of 1.1 loads per hour from a washer, the hourly yield per washer would be only 99 lbs. (or just under 200 lbs with two). That leaves you with a 10%+ under capacity figure on production.
I would recommend you consider choosing one 150 lb W-E and one 95 lb W-E. Using the same factors above, that should give you a total of 240 lbs. With that, you have a bit of cushion on production.
Next, on your dryer(s), you should have two overall. High end terry takes longer to properly dry. Match the dryer capacity to that of your washers wherever possible.
The next big issue is the correct ironer. As mentioned in a previous exchange, the width of the ironer is important when processing king-sized sheeting. You should have a minimum of a 130" wide ironer. Then consider the total number of sheets you need to produce (both iron and fold) per hour. Remember that while the 30" ironer "might" be able to finish the ironing on the total number of sheets required, what about the time it takes the operators to fold them???
Just look at all the options, and whom ever you obtain the equipment from, make sure that you see that equipment in action - doing your type of goods, before you sign any purchase agreement!!
suds-n-blood
Mr Laundry Master

Postby txah » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:36 pm

If you haven't made your purchases yet, PM me regarding your iron choice. Please.
txah
Sharp

Return to General discussion