The Laundry Forum

Healthcare, Commercial and Industrial launderers, manufacturers and suppliers.

Magnetic Filtration

Open discussions not manufacture specific

Magnetic Filtration

Postby IronMan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:37 am

Does anyone use magnetic filtration in their lubricants?
IronMan
Mr Laundry Master

Re: Magnetic Filtration

Postby TUNNELTECH » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:18 am

If you are referring to Hydraulic Systems then no I do not. I use a 5 micron filter. Almost every oil tank and gearbox drain has an magnetic plug though. I also use a filter cart for 8 hours or so ( depends on the size of the tank) every 6 months removing anything plus any moisture. It is Florida so there is always moisture :-)
TUNNELTECH
Mr Laundry Master

Postby The Laundry List.com » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:23 am

Like TUNNELTECH,
when filtering oil, I also use a magnetic element in the oil line to catch any iron partials.
I don't like my magnetic filter. It is a sealed unit, so I can't see if it is catching anything.
The Laundry List.com
Mr Laundry Master

Postby IronMan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:08 pm

The filters I am looking at are built so you can remove them and clean them off. The company is One Eye Industries. We have not purchased anything yet but we are seriously considering this. I went to their plant and saw filters for Cat, PHP, etc... Looks like proven technology. Lots of case studies showing solid results. They also showed me the difference between a standard magnetized plug and their plug. They insert rare earth magnets in the plugs and they are much stronger.
IronMan
Mr Laundry Master

Postby TUNNELTECH » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:53 am

So I checked into the supplier and the concept of magnetic filtration. Specifically for our hydraulic systems in our Presses I would install in a return line after installing a 90 degree elbow. The filter requires turbulence to create friction so it can capture non magnetic particles. As far as replacing any filter on the press I would not do so. Here's why: The manufactures of all our presses are in the laundry Business not the lubrication Business. That said they put filters on the press at too high of a Micron rating. One example has a press using a 22 micron filter when the manufacture of the hydraulic pump in use requires nothing greater than 19 and will not honor a warranty. I use 10 to 5 micron filters in my Hydraulic systems for years and conduct regular filter cart filtration to remove down to 1 micron and the moisture in the system. I also use it to pump in new oil. You would be amazed by how much debris and moisture can be in NEW oil. This enables the fluid to last 5 times longer than if you were not doing this. When was the last time anyone had their oil tested? This is not covered in your manufacture's manual. My tests are done free from the same people who I rent the filter cart from. I go years without changing Hydraulic fluid! This alone justifies the cost but the increased longevity of the components in the system are the main stay. ( Just not realized by people not in the know) The magnetic filtration can supplement this but I do not think I would go the additional cost as what I am doing now is as successful and would still need to do it. It does not filter rubber, lint or moisture to name some items.
Have your oil tested....do not be surprised if you need to change the oil:-) Then try the system if you wish but I do not recommend it.
NOW I will be looking into using it in the discharge side of both my air compressor and the receiver. There they will pick up the rust and debris from the piping due to the moisture in the line. This will help with my main air filters. Everything after the air dryer should be fine. I also want to look into the drain plugs they have as well for gearboxes.
I also am going to look into using it in a thermal oil system. Even an self contained Ironer can benefit from this.
Thanks for the introduction of this product. I will look forward to observing its benefits.
TUNNELTECH
Mr Laundry Master

Postby IronMan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:00 am

Thanks for the response. We do send our oil for testing but are not using the filtration cart. I will try and find a local supplier that we can rent this from. We are also looking at the thermal oil and compressors for this product. I also agree that we will not use this product to replace existing filtration. It does has potential to supplement filtration. I was surprised that the magnetic filters can attract non ferrous items. As you stated by creating turbulence the non ferrous items become charged and the magnetic filter can then attract them.
IronMan
Mr Laundry Master

Postby The Laundry List.com » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:55 am

NOW I will be looking into using it in the discharge side of both my air compressor and the receiver. There they will pick up the rust and debris from the piping due to the moisture in the line.

This is why compressed air lines should be made with non-Ferris material, such as copper & it is less expensive!
The Laundry List.com
Mr Laundry Master

Postby TUNNELTECH » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:06 am

I agree fully on the compressed air lines to be copper (Type K and silver soldered)!!! But here code states Iron so this will help a great deal.
TUNNELTECH
Mr Laundry Master

Postby The Laundry List.com » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:01 am

Type L is rated 150 PSIG, why use type K at twice the cost?
The Laundry List.com
Mr Laundry Master

Postby The Laundry List.com » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:03 am

Type L is rated 150 PSIG, why use type K at twice the cost?
I've done several laundries in Florida with soldered type L copper, when did the code change?
The Laundry List.com
Mr Laundry Master

Next

Return to General discussion