The Laundry Forum

Healthcare, Commercial and Industrial launderers, manufacturers and suppliers.

Chicago Century Ironer

Chicago dryer equipment

Re: Chicago Century Ironer

Postby suds-n-blood » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:37 am

A point to consider when getting results from the pressing cycle is to make sure the final bath temperatures are the same on "his" tunnel system and "yours".
With tunnel systems and presses, there are multiple factors that have an effect on the finished goods. The temperature of the goods at time of extraction plays a big role in that. The combination of a 'hot' load at extract combined with a higher bar pressure on blended (poly-cotton) fabric can inset compression wrinkles due to the fact the poly portion of the fiber is soft and plyable at that time. Also, the time period from extraction to ironing can play a part as well. The longer the time period, the more the fabric has to cool down, in the compressed state, and the poly fibers will "set" in that position.
Bottom line, make sure that the variables in your testing on a sight visit are the same as what you operate at in your facility. Only way to get a clear picture on real results.
suds-n-blood
Mr Laundry Master

Postby laundryman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:27 am

Thanks.
It is a tricky situation cause everyone is a little different in the setup before ironering. Will have to check everything while there. Probably find some problems for him!
laundryman
Site Admin

Postby suds-n-blood » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:45 am

Just hoping to provide some food for thought as you begin your comparisions. Cannot wait to hear the results of the visit this week. What type of facility will you be going to? Healthcare?
suds-n-blood
Mr Laundry Master

Postby laundryman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:39 pm

Healthcare, two tunnels, 18 mil pounds
laundryman
Site Admin

Postby laundryman » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:45 am

Back from testing.
PH was good.
Problem was their temps. The final rinse was over 140 degrees! My new sheets looked so bad I didn't think any ironer would get them out. The Chicago 52 almost got them all. Not sure if my Hypros would of. Really liked the ironer and our host Thurman was great. He was glad we showed up with temp probe in hand. Told him to get it down to 115 or less. He can then press everything full bar.
laundryman
Site Admin

Postby suds-n-blood » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:53 am

Why was he doing the final rinse so hot? I know that a warmer rinse will give better extraction results, but there is a limit. What extraction pressure (bar) was he using and how long was the cycle? Any idea on the moisture retentions??
suds-n-blood
Mr Laundry Master

Postby laundryman » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:50 am

suds-n-blood wrote:Why was he doing the final rinse so hot? I know that a warmer rinse will give better extraction results, but there is a limit. What extraction pressure (bar) was he using and how long was the cycle? Any idea on the moisture retentions??

He just figured his chemical man would take care of everything. Told him don't rely on anyone but yourself and staff. Check the temps, ph, hardness, etc. everyday.
laundryman
Site Admin

Postby Independent » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:59 pm

Interesting comments about the Chicago Century Iron. Could not find any comments about Brauns ironers. Any comments on them?
Independent
Enlightened

Postby THE WIZARD » Tue May 07, 2013 6:01 pm

The Laundry List.com wrote:Great solution! Thanks for sharing.

I did not understand the statment about greater torque from a 3 phase motor as compared to a single phase motor.

My understanding is:

Full-load torque is the torque to produce the rated power at full speed of the motor.
To calculate motor full-load torque, apply this formula:

T = HP x 5252/ rpm

T = torque (in lb-ft)

I do not understand where the number of phases enter into the formula?
How do you get greater torque from an equal power 3 phase motor running at the same speed?

I realize this is very late. The torque word was not quite what i was after. The fact its single phase and with capacitors creates more of a problem when starting and more likely to stall if problems develops switches stick etc. 3 phase with a proper overload is always better over the long run. Thanks for the refesher physics power transmission class.
THE WIZARD
Enlightened

Previous

Return to Chicago dryer